Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Daddy, My HERO!

It being Father's Day and all, I thought I would write a little somethin', somethin' about my daddy. Not to mention his birthday is later on this week.  I just adore that man! He is everything I hope I can be one day. Cheesy? Ha, who cares, this is MY blog. haha. Anyway, what I thought I would do is share some of my favorite memories about my daddy and some qualities about him that everyone should aspire for.  So here we go, even though a list could never be complete and I KNOW I will miss some of them, here is my TOP TEN reasons why I love my daddy in no particular order.



10. He is quietly hilarious.
People have told me before that my dad can be intimidating because he is so quiet. He can look quite serious when he wants to and has these piercing beautiful eyes that really just demand that you be honest and truthful to him. However, once you get him going, he so quite witty and can outsmart you on pretty much anything. There are several "witty" stories that I could tell about my daddy, but really it's something you have to experience, like when little kids think he's Santa Clause and he plays along, or when you don't realize he's been listening to a conversation and then BURNS you. He's wonderful...and for all those who don't know him, he may be quiet, but watch out....he's usually got something up his sleeve.

9. He unconditionally loves his wife.
Growing up in my house, the sure-fire way to upset Daddy was to disrespect our mother. He could listen to us arguing our case to our mom, and mostly he would let her handle it ( cause Heaven knows, she can handle herself in an argument), but as soon as you let a "that's stupid" or an "I hate you" or any other sentence that was disrespectful, my daddy got mad. I can still remember him saying very strongly and firmly, "You NEVER disrespect your mother"! Maybe it is for this reason that I see my brothers treat their wives with such sweetness. Growing up, I never doubted that my dad loved my mom. As a child, I took that for granted, but now I see how incredibly lucky I was. Here is a cute story about my mom and dad.... when we were traveling to Montana to visit my mom's side of the family. My mom is from Montana, so we traveled this way often. On one occasion we came across some baby foxes traveling with their mom. As I remember they were in the middle part of the highway (not in the middle of the highway, but there was this grassy part, with some trees and such). My mom and I both saw them and perhaps someone else, but my daddy was driving and so I turned to him and said, "Dad, did you see those Montana foxes?" and he said " What do you mean? I already have a Montana fox." I giggled and thought my dad was BRILLIANT.  My mom blushed and swatted him playfully on the arm and said "JAK!" hahah! I love it.  Even now, I love hearing their stories of how they went to the movies, or seeing them hold hands. I love it!

My mom is giving my dad a thumbs up! ;) 


8. He is always levelheaded.
I asked Aaron what he thought about my daddy and this is one that he came up with and I 100% agree. In times of drama/turmoil or confusion, my daddy always seems to know what to say and what to do. He always keeps his calm and understands the situation. He's probably the only reason our family has any common sense with all of us stubborn and opinionated yahoos!

7. He is the smartest man I know (although Aaron's catching up! ;) )
For this one I wish I had a picture of my daddy reading a book. I have absolutely no idea how many books he's read, but I know it could fill an entire library. I asked him what he wanted for Father's Day and he said "a good book". I love him! People come to him for advice and knowledge, his resume is extremely impressive and on top of all that, he volunteers for a historical museum, just because it interests him.  I've seen him read biographies of some of the greatest men alive, several of our Church's prophets, as well past presidents and other figures of authority. I am pretty sure I have never asked him a question that he couldn't answer.  When I grow up, I want to be just like him. Seriously.

6. He LOVES The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
"Now, fathers, I would remind you of the sacred nature of your calling. You have the power of the priesthood directly from the Lord to protect your home. There will be times when all that stands as a shield between your family and the adversary's mischief will be that power. You will receive direction from the Lord by way of the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Elder Boyd K. Packer 

This is what I know about my dad. He has always been a faithful servant of the Lord. I watched him study his scriptures, teach lessons, fulfill callings, go to meetings, give blessings, heal the sick, give selfless service. In fact, I am pretty sure my dad is more like our Savior than anyone else I know. He has dedicated his life in bringing up an amazing family and I know that all his children thank him for the testimony he has given us. For me, I wouldn't be the person I am today without the love that my dad has for his Heavenly Father, the Son, Jesus Christ and for the gospel.  I remember he bore his testimony at my niece's confirmation and he spoke about how he wanted all of his children and grandchildren to know that he loves them and that he has a testimony. It was amazing. Also, when I was on my mission, my dad's letters were always SO profound. Looking back, I wish I would have kept them. Maybe I will have to go onto my old email account and print them all off. I want my kids to benefit from my daddy's wisdom.


5. He's always a good sport and up for an adventure.
Most people when they go away for the weekend it's about the comfort and connivence of a hotel. Where people pamper YOU for once. haha, well my mom loves camping and because it's cheaper, they would go camping a lot. How's that for out of the ordinary adventure. Or the fact that he married a very spontaneous woman, who likes to visit her kids on a moment's notice. My daddy was alway up for it.  But I think this video shows his free-spirit! :) 





4. He supports his children
I can't remember anything that was a big deal to me that my parents weren't a part of. I am pretty sure they were at every choir concert, every performance, every soccer game...and on top of that, I'm pretty sure that I went to all of my brother's football games and soccer games and anything else. And if our friends had things going on, they'd go to that too! haha. I love it.  This memory, I really wish I had a picture of. I was in Music Man at the Scera Shell Outdoor theater and it was POURING rain. I mean seriously buckets of water. However, someone thought that "the show must go on" and so we did. We danced and sang our hearts out, while it was coming down cats and dogs. I remember looking out into the audience and seeing my dad, there all by himself, with his own chair, his coat, umbrella and a tarp.  I'm sure it's not true, but in my memory he was the only one in the audience (I'm pretty sure if only one person had shown up, they would have canceled that performance, but still....in my memory).  Another memory that sticks out in my mind, I was dating another guy (I know... shocking) and no one liked us together, it's easy to look back now and see it wasn't right, but in the middle of it all, I was very confused and I was sick of people telling me what I should do, instead of listening to how I felt. Except my dad. He listened and told me that he trusted me to make the right decision, and if that meant to marry this guy, he would support. I can't tell you what that meant to me. My daddy had my back! 

3. He is loved and respected by everyone that knows him.
It amazes me the amount of people that love and respect my dad. I know it shouldn't, but I have never met anyone that didn't like him. Most of the time when someone hears that I am "Jak's daughter", they sing his praises. It's fun to hear things about my dad that I normally wouldn't know. Some people have even claimed they learned all they need to know from my daddy. It's ok folks, I say the same thing!  My daddy is so humble and I think that is why people flock to him. However, I think the thing that has become the most touching for me, is watching my dad get older. His body isn't working as well, and because of health issues he's been in and out of the hospital more than he ever was in the past. As his body has become less reliable, I have seen others step up. My mom, serving him endlessly...spending nights in the hospital and making sure he has every comfort that he could need, my brothers all jumping up for the chance to help him out to the car or getting him a plate of food. I can only imagine the kind of life he would have to lead to have people jump at the chance to serve him now. I want to be like that!

2. He can cook too, on top of the rest.
I think something my daddy is most famous for is his cooking. Almost all of us kids have picked it up. In fact, as a child, I don't remember ever eating leftovers....that could have been that fact that I have four brothers...maybe there just wasn't any leftovers....but I'm pretty sure it was just because he could make anything out of nothing. We had some serious gourmet meals. Most of my friends say they miss my daddy's cooking. Heck, I miss my daddy's cooking. I have called him several times for several different recipes, and I know my brothers have done the same. However, my dad doesn't cook from a recipe. So what happens when you call to get a recipe from a man who doesn't cook that way? Usually a lot of experimenting. haha. Some of my favorite meals include, but are not limited to: Taco salad--probably his most famous, meatloaf, baked beans, beef stroganoff, pinto bean casserole, spaghetti, ck divine and his thanksgiving spread.

1. Because he's my daddy!
I have so many wonderful memories of my daddy, from watching old AMC movies and having him point out the actors, or volunteering with him at the museum, working on scripts, sets and other theater projects, cooking, going on road trips, long talks when I lived far away, helping me pack my entire house, watching endless games of football with him (on TV or live),  teaching moments, his never ending perfect advice, but most importantly his priesthood influence he's had. I am so grateful that he is a strong member of the church so that he can give me blessings and watch out for my spiritual well being, as well as my physical. I am so grateful that he was there when I went through the temple for the first time and also when I was married. Families ARE forever and so I'm glad he's mine to keep!  He's my daddy and I will always love him for it.  I always wanted to sing a song with my dad--the one from Beauty and the Beast the musical.  (lyrics at the bottom)

My daddy playing "Ishmael" in The Promised Land

Hitting the rides at Disneyland!

Teaching me how to dance!


Here you go: "No Matter What"

Belle:
Papa, do you think I'm...odd?
Maurice:
My daughter odd? Where did you get an idea like that?
Belle:
I don't know. It's just that, well, people talk.
Maurice:
They talk about me, too.
Maurice:
No, we're not odd, its true
No fam'ly ever saner
Except one uncle who...well, maybe let that pass
In all you say or do
You couldn't make it plainer
You are your mother's daughter; therefore you are class
Belle:
So I should just accept
I'm simply not like them
Maurice:
They are the common herd
And you should take my word
You are unique: creme de la creme
No matter what you do
I'm on your side
And if my point of view
Is somewhat misty-eyed
There's nothing clearer in my life
Than what I wish and feel for you
And that's a lot...
No matter what
Belle:
No matter what they say
You make me proud
I love the funny way
You stand out from the crowd
Maurice:
It's my intention my invention
Shows the world out there one day
Just what we've got...
Belle:
No matter what
Maurice:
Now some may say all fathers just exaggerate
Belle:
That ev'ry daughter's great?
Maurice:
You are!
Belle:
And ev'ry daughter tends to say her father's tops
Maurice:
She pulls out all the stops
To praise him
Belle:
And quite rightly!
Maurice:
No matter what the pain
We've come this far
I pray that you remain
Exactly as you are
This really is a case of father knowing best
Belle:
And daughter too!
Maurice:
You're never strange
Belle:
Don't ever change
Both:
You're all I've got
No matter what

**hmm, two songs from the same show, is it possible I'd like to play this role someday?

2 comments:

  1. I still remember your dad's taco salad, and it's been years since I had it! It really is the best. And you really do have an awesome dad!!

    ReplyDelete